Thursday, January 24, 2008

Jimmy Chamberlin

Once upon a time my brother gave me a CD by a band called "The Jimmy Chamberlin Complex" titled "Life Begins Again" to listen to. This drummer, as many may know, is the drummer for the elite 90s rock group, The Smashing Pumpkins. Upon listening to the first track of the CD I was thoroughly impressed at how well he was able to hold down a groove and how well put together both his solos and the piece in general were. It wasn't until Rock Band came out and I played the drums on "Cherub Rock" that I realized that he put these complex drum grooves even into his days in the Pumpkins. Tonight I checked out some more Pumpkins material because his work was on my mind, and I'm pleased to say that he makes the most out of every song on the drums. His communication and excellent ideas make each song strikingly more interesting. Maybe I'm missing this expertise with other drummers, but for now, as far as I'm concerned, Jimmy Chamberlin is one of the best--one of the most original rock drummers that I have ever heard.

No comments: