Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Greg Weaver Critical Choice Awards 2007

     I'll be posting some both legit and obscure musical awards at the end of the year to recognize artists that deserve (or don't deserve) to have their musical talents highlighted. Of course, this isn't totally fair since I don't work for a magazine, nor do I go out and buy billions of dollars worth of CDs every year to critically listen to. Topics will include, but are not limited to: artists in separate instrumentation categories, best live show, best hidden jewel discovered thanks to the internet, and also the biggest "fuck you" award. Look forward to it.

     Also, I'll have a blog highlighting my experiences from April to August as I will be studying abroad at Sophia University in Tokyo, Japan. Throughout my travels I will be documenting my musical observations, focusing specifically on how jazz is received there compared to how it is in the United States. To heighten my research I also plan to find student groups to play with while I'm there and have recordings available. This is the one element that I'm looking forward to the most--even more than my "paid" purpose, which is to have intensive Japanese study.

     I may even start early research on record sales and whatnot before I even leave, so check back every so often for updates.


... not to mention more CD reviews after Christmas. Woohoo!

No comments: